Patience is a virtue of eons ago. Everything has to happen NOW!
Google is obsessed with speed and hence decided to include site speed as one of their signals for the ranking algorithms.
When it comes to Magento 2, the admin needs to take care of a few things while setting up the store in order to speed up Magento 2 store. The tutorial includes every point you need to implement for Magento 2 performance optimization.
How to Speed Up Magento 2:
- Turn Production Mode on
- Update Magento 2 version
- Switch to PHP 7
- Enable Varnish Cache
- Set Flat Categories and Products
- Set up Content Delivery Network
- Use a lightweight theme and optimized images
- Check the 3rd party extensions for bugs before installing them in the store.
- Magento 2 can be operated from any of the three modes: default, developer, and production. The default and developer modes are used for debugging and never for the live site. However, the production mode is the fastest.
- Get the SSH details from your hosting provider to find what mode your store is running in now. Run the below command:
php bin/magento deploy:mode:show
- Run it once inside the root Magento folder.
- To set the production mode, issue the below command:
php bin/magento deploy:mode:set production
- Magento 2.3.0 supports PHP 7.1.3+ 7.2.x
- Improve the performance with the 7th version of PHP as compared to the PHP 5.6 that is supported by Magento 2.
- Magento 2 supports Full Page Cache via Varnish natively.
- Enable the option to transfer much more traffic without load speed losses. In production mode, the option will take over caching of most of the website content.
- Make the changes in the below configuration as shown in the image:
- Expand the CSS Settings and enable the Merge CSS Files and Minify CSS Files as shown here:
- The above configuration makes the code read-through and execution faster.
- Add HTTPS URLs from Stores > Configuration > General > Web > Base URLs (Secure) as shown below:
- Use a lightweight theme as per your requirements and taste.
- Use compressed images.
- Use PNG or SVG format for the logo.
- Use JPEG format for the product images.
- Try to find a 3rd party extensions that fulfill your requirements and are bug-free. If you find any issues, try resolving them as soon as possible. If that’s not possible, uninstall the extension.
- You may check bug-free and feature-rich Magento 2 extensions
Keep the above points in mind while setting up a store to speed up Magento 2 and offer an optimized store for rich customer shopping experience!
If you find any difficulties in the implementation of any of the above points, don’t hesitate to contact me and I’d be happy to help.